Thursday, May 23, 2013

Weird Wednesdays

I think I can safely say that what I experienced this past Wednesday was definitely a first.

Just to prep this story, lets backtrack to the day before:
Due to a lot of things happening in my life, my emotions were out of whack.  And I mean, COMPLETELY out of whack.  I'm not an emotional person by a long shot, and every time I get upset, I always try to check myself and rationalize it.  Not so that day.  That particular Tuesday was a motherload of crappiness, and it made me completely irrational.  (It resulted in  me deactivating my facebook account as a safety measure.  I know that doesn't sound...drastic, but if you know me, then you know that something was terribly wrong.)

Wellcast, the show I was directing, was coming to an end.  I was a grab bag of emotions, not one of them involving happiness... but I at least wanted to send it off with one last hurrah.  Our final episode will be one with celebrating, reflecting on fond memories, and lots and lots of drinking.  Because Lord knows we all needed it.  I also didn't quite have an idea as to what the heck we were filming, but I figured that something would be shot, and I would be able to use it.

That night was restless and sleepless, but I tried to make the best of it.  I declared (desperately), "I'm going to have a good day today!"  I drove to 4 different places before I even got a chance to pick up Halie before we made the trek up to the studio in Culver City.  As we were nearing our destination, I was besieged by a sneezing attack.  It wasn't anything unusual at first - I usually sneeze in sets of three's or forever, and this one happened to be the latter.
It did make it quite dangerous for driving though, because I wouldn't stop sneezing.  But I thought, "eh, if I just blow my nose, hopefully it'll clear up and I can stop sneezing", I carried on like usual.

It was about an hour later when I realized that something was wrong.  I stopped sneezing...but then I got itchy.  Really itchy.  I looked at my arm and saw that I broke out in hives.

I was horrified.

I didn't know why this is happening, because in the history that I've been alive, I've never been allergic to anything.  I looked at my purchases to see what would be suspect...and then realized...

The flowers.  The peonies.  PEONIES.

So it turns out... I became allergic to peonies.  And possibly all scented flowers.  That day.

Needless to say, it was the worst.  My neck was red; it looked like someone was strangling me.  Halie and I rushed to Target to get allergy medicine and anti-itch cream.  My neck and arms were red and itchy and breaking out in hives.  I had to walk a certain way to not irritate my skin any more.  I was miserable AND had to be filmed that evening.  Drastic measures had to be taken.

Because I was struggling to stay awake from the anti-histamine medicine and needed to reduce the redness - I was inhaling coffee and balancing ice packs on my neck while attempting to edit tomorrow's episode.  So, imagine me in this situation: I was sloped all the way down in my chair with an ice pack resting on my chest and underneath my chin, one hand is constantly gripping coffee, and the other was clicking away on the mouse in a sad attempt to edit tomorrow's episode.  This went on for three hours.  Halie looked at me with pity.

Fortunately the medicines did their job, and I was able to carry on and "direct" the shoot.  (but really, I had no idea what I was doing).  The shoot took a lot more work than I realized, but thanks to the crew who helped me out, we shot it swiftly and got it done.  Now I just have to pull an all-nighter to get Thursday's episode done, figure out what I'm teaching for Saturday's episode, and sift through the shots we took and try not to cringe at the hot mess of itchiness that I was.

It's going to be a fun week.

No comments:

Post a Comment